... and what will you bring me today?

Monday, April 21, 2014

Quilt Show Quilts - Finished!

Baby Pinwheels
Well, quite a bit happened through January and February too, but my most pressing time use was FINISHING MY QUILTS FOR THE QUILT SHOW!!!! My family was not all that impressed when I finished one or another. Their questions were more on the line of, "Are you fixing dinner? Oh, it's okay. I will eat whatever is in the fridge… No problem." Or, "Mom, you should take a break from all that sewing. Want to take me shopping?"

Christmas Confetti




But I am very proud of myself for finishing my quilts. I do feel like such a procrastinator because I had all of these quilt tops (and backs, too, ready to go) that I really liked but was putting off the quilting part for so long - ridiculous! And I have more tops just sitting around, waiting…

I do get stuck on how I'd like to quilt things. I have a regular sewing machine so some designs are beyond what I can do on it. I will not try big circles or long curving feather designs because I know they won't be smooth. either I should invest in a machine with a larger throat space or practice those designs on smaller lap quilts.



Everglades Postcard 
I'm in a small art-quilt group called Rambling Art Quilters and we give ourselves challenges. This one was to choose a National Park and make a 'postcard' of it. The size was 9" x 12" and was two-sided with the back looking like a postcard with an address and message too. Mine is based on a photograph that my mother took while she was visiting the Everglades. There were six of us that did this challenge and we made a plastic 'page' with rivets at the top and space for our six quilts. Unique!

Habitat

Almost a year and a half ago I made the top of this 'Habitat' quilt for my youngest daughter and her husband as their wedding shower gift. She is very happy that I now have it finished even though she can't have it until after the quilt show. It turned out great and they love it - I did ask that her dog not get to jump on it on the bed though.


Splash
Bits Challenge Kid donation quilt





The Bits n Pieces Guild Challenge was called 'Water, Water, Everywhere.' I browsed the web for images for inspiration and liked how photos of water drops looked. Then I saw a quilt similar to this which helped me set the idea on how to design the water drops. I could not find the quilt again so can't give credit to that person, but their quilt was red and orange if you ever see it.

'Splash' won the Challenge Viewers' Choice at the show!

Hexies




'Hexies' was a spur-of-the-moment purchase of two packs of die-cut hexagons that just called to me. Lots of fun playing with placement but these were full cut hexies, not split ones that are easy to pieces, so this quilt did take some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment